Saturday, January 24, 2009

Healthcare & My Obama Haircut

Well after my last blog entry you know we are running full tilt with CCD, RCIA, Bible Studies and Adoration. Just to make life interesting, this was the 3rd week of the month and our monthly trip to Nassau to meet with clergy for support, prayer and teaching.

I was glad we were going because about a month ago one of my dental caps fell out. I have been sticking it back on whenever it comes loose, but lately that has been pretty often. We have no Dentist on Andros so this was going to be a good thing.

So we get to Nassau, I go to the meeting, Ginni goes to St. Joseph's parish (our home on Nassau thanks to Fr. Martin Gomes, sscc). After the meeting we go get Ginni and I spend the afternoon with her in the Finance Office of the Chancery dealing with all the bills and admin details I am still learning. This woman also arranged my dentist appointment. It was then the tummy began to churn and I got pale. It seems lunch at the Conference Center was not a chicken gumbo and rice but actually conche gumbo and rice. Lately when I eat conche I see it again in about 3 hours. This was to be no exception. What made it interesting however was we had finished with the Finance Office and stopped by to see the Archbishop before we left. Yup - it was in the Archbishop's Office that the conche decided it was time to reappear. I literally apologized, got up and ran - with Ginni sitting there saying 'He hasn't felt too well since lunch'. I made it to a restroom - barely. You know those cartoons where the cartoon character's cheeks are puffed out and he has his hand over his mouth to suppress hurling - that was me! Thank God the restroom was empty.

So we leave the Chancery, go back to St. Joe's where the cook has prepared a wonderful lamb dinner (Ginni said it was delicious).

The next day I am fine and its off to the Dentist which was actually quite good. I didn't know what to expect from Dentists here but while his office was small, it was clean, had all the state of the art equipment, wonderful hygenists and in 20 minutes and $50 later I was all set. What was very providential about this is that when Ginni visited Norwood last month Fr. Culloty gave her a $50 dollar donation a parishioner had asked him to pass on to us. As you can see it really came in handy.

Since we returned from Nassau, Ginni has developed a case of 'pink eye' or conjunctivitis. One eye is brite red, itchy and leaking gross gooey stuff. (Don't ya love it)
So this was our first experience with the local clinic. The Doctor is off island so the nurse saw her and gave her some ointment. Once again the service was wonderful, the clinic was clean, well managed and Ginni thought the care was great. We shall see how well she responds.

This morning I went for my 2nd Bahamian haircut - last time I said the barber here has zero experience cutting a white man's hair and that I looked like a little dutch boy - this time its more the Obama look. Ginni was actually shocked when I walked in the door. All I can say is picture me with a wiffle and a white beard. If we can get Ginni's camera to download a pic we will. Its a haircut to be remembered (or forgotten depending on your perspective).

Enough for now. Please keep us in your prayers.










.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Bring on the wiffle picture...ohh how I can't wait to see that one.

The Roys said...

We love reading your Blog!! The combination of learning about the wonderful work you are beginning and the funny, descriptive stories you tell about life on Andros is wonderful. The shot of St.Tim's is a perfect depiction of what life is like here in Norwood. Enjoy your warm weather and get to the beach whenever possible...soak up some rays for us! Love, Rich and Jo

Unknown said...

Hi Frank. Enjoy reading your blogs!!! Nice to learn about the Island and the Community. Ginn'ys home. We are trying to touch bases "phone tag". I am very proud of you and Ginny to be doing this work for God, and for yourselves. Take care dear friend. Peg Reilly